Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Next Big Thing

2/January/2013

The Next Big Thing is a game of tag for authors. I was tagged by Wendy Blaxland.  I have tagged two other authors for next week. They answer the same questions about their own next project, and tag other authors for the week after.
Follow the game around the world…Where will it end?
What is the working title of your next book?
 Clovie Trefoil - Book one of the series The Fairies of Farholt.
Where did the idea come from for the project?
 I love writing fantasy and I wanted to write an exciting new fantasy series for young readers in primary school. I decided to plan the whole series from the beginning. Working titles for the stories are "Clovie Trefoil", "Billabunya", "Tonash and Genimo", "Lark and Shalla", "Foss Ammonite" and "Pother Sneckboggart".
What genre does your project fall under?
 This is fantasy adventure with a quest component.
What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Clovie would have to be played by an unknown, I think, since she is about ten years old in human terms. The Cromach could be played by any character actor who can do a Scots accent and carry a staff with dignity.
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your project?
 When the Great Cairn of Sky loses its cap stone, Clovie Trefoil sets off on a quest across the Lands of the Fae to find the elusive Heatherghillie. (That's the first book only.)
How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
 It took about a week of work, but I didn't work on it continuously because I was away for  few days in the middle of the process.
 What other projects would you compare this story to within your genre?
I don't know of any others that work quite this way.
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I wanted to write a series of fantasies for this specific age group, and make the stories exciting rather than "cute". (I don't do cute.) I also wanted to play with multiple formats - audio, e- and teacher-notes.
What else about the project might pique the reader's interest?
The first month of work on the series is chronicled in an already-published book called Finding Farholt
Find out more at www.thefairiesoffarholt.com
And next week, on 9th January, two other wonderful authors will tell you about their Next Big Event: Robyn Opie Parnell robynopie.blogspot.com.au/ and Michelle Tatam

No comments: